The Windows server 2008 & SQL 2008 might be seeing their support being stopped, but that doesn’t mean you cannot keep using them. Now, they are on their extended support phase which will last till July 8th, 2019 for Windows SQL Server 2008 and January 14, 2020, for Windows Server 2020.
The same deadline is applicable for on-premise and off-premise systems.
How is it going to affect current systems?
If you are running versions of Windows Server 2008 & SQL 2008, then after the End of Support your version of the software will not be provided with any more security updates. This is certainly a major concern because not having the proper protection against malware and viruses can speak havoc when the security of your company is involved.
What should be your next step
There are not just one, but three different ways in which you can see past the end of service.
- Upgrade to a newer version of Windows server: The latest server versions are SQL Server 2017 and Windows Server 2016, with 2019 versions under development. Make sure that you meet the hardware requirements for on-premise software before making the decision. The latest server version of Microsoft only supports 64-bit processors.
- Buy security updates: Even though Microsoft will be ending the normal support for Windows Server 2008 & SQL 2008, you can buy future updates for 75% of the current operating system cost. The new Extended Security Updates program which replaces the “Premium Assurance” offering would provide three years of extended security updates.
- Move to Azure: If you are looking for the most cost-efficient option that grants you proper support and security, then Microsoft allows you to transfer your Windows Server 2008 & SQL 2008 to Azure by using the Azure Hybrid Benefit program. The only monetary investment needed for this is the computing and infrastructure costs.
Microsoft has been pushing hard to get their customer to upgrade and it is for good reason. The latest versions of Windows Server & SQL Server are much advanced than the 2008 versions. It’s been more than 10 years since their release and it shows when we compare the old and new versions.
Some of the major advantages of SQL Server 2019 over SQL Server 2008 R2:
- Online Transaction Processing (OLTP)
- Real-Time Operational Analytics
- In-Memory Column Store
- Adaptive Query Processing
- Always On feature
- Backup encryption support
- Backup to Azure
- Linux and Docker support
Some of the major advantages of Windows Server 2019 over Windows Server 2008:
- File sync with Azure
- VM protection
- Windows Admin Center
- Storage space direct
- Storage Quality of Service (QoS)
- Data duplication
- Site-aware failover cluster
- Network controller
Why Azure might be a better option
Azure is Microsoft’s cloud platform where companies can build, host and deploy applications. In other words, you can do away with your SQL servers and continue the projects on Cloud. Azure provides your company with cloud services in the form of PaaS (Platform as a Service) and IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service).
In essence, Azure offers a simple solution to anyone who needs to set up a server, without having to pay for the infrastructure. Everything can be made available on the cloud where Microsoft will be tasked with their upkeep and maintenance. Contact PT Sarana Solusindo Informatika to know how your business can start using Azure today!